Thursday, November 29, 2007

Design and Art Theory

So, for my December schedule, I only have one class...Design and Art Theory (DAT)...since I had transfer credit for my other class this month. DAT basically goes over all the art theories. And over the next ten classes, I'll learn about all of them, including gesturing, values, composition, design, art, perspective, color theory, layout, typography, gestalt, and the creative thinking process. I've already been through two classes, and so far we've talked about gesturing (first two pictures) and values (next two pictures).

On the left, is my first practice with gesturing. In gesturing, you start your drawing by creating shapes that you see in the object. Then you go back and start to refine your lines and shapes. After some practice with that, we were told to switch our pencils to our non-dominant hand and then continue gesturing. The two birds in the pictures were created using my left hand only. The purpose of this exercise was for us to not concentrate on how we sketched, but to concentrate on the actual object that we were sketching. I think this helped me out a lot.





During our second class we concentrated on values, which is the lightness or darkness of an object. So we got these cante crayons (which are very messy, I might add), and started drawing spheres to practice working with values.





So, I've had a lot of fun in this class already and have improved a lot already! I'm really excited to see what's to come in this class!

2 comments:

Peach said...

dang ur good u should become left handed were much cooler people!!!
should check out ontherange!!

lkuhns said...

nice bball. did you draw that at the Y? i like the cookies!!